When you don't send a meeting recap

• 6 April 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

Meeting recaps are so important! They have so many benefits! Here are just a few:

• It serves as a record of what was discussed on the call, who was on the call, what action items were set, etc.
  • It helps keep the customer in the loop with what they need to do next (recaps should always contain next steps and what not!)
  • It helps you know what was discussed in a certain meeting! That way when you’re prepping for the next meeting you can save time by reading up on what was covered and what not!

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

​​​​That meme gets me every time!

A thread of recaps also help anyone who may take over the project, or join mid-flight get up to speed quickly on where you’re at and what’s next!

Userlevel 7
Badge

We should do a segment on what every meeting recap should contain because there is a BIG difference between a good meeting recap and a lazy one!

Userlevel 3
Badge

We have an internal google doc with meeting recaps notes for anyone who needs visual into the account internally. key points are send to the customer.  Also using meeting notes software like UpdateAI or Fathom help a TON with sending recaps and syncing to your CRM - two birds one stone😎

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

If you do not send a meeting recap …. you are 99.9% guaranteed there will be a misunderstanding of expectations!

No RECAP …. No RECALL …. No RECONCILATION 

Userlevel 2

The best place to keep Meeting Recaps in GuideCX is something I struggle with.  Where do you all put them?

• In Project Notes?
  • In a Task Note related to the meeting?
  • In an attached Google Document?
Userlevel 7
Badge

@jjmcdev I’m a big time believer in putting meeting recaps in the Project Notes. The benefit of that is that you have all your notes consolidated AND it helps with prepping for calls (i.e. I always add what next steps and follow up items in my recaps. That way when I hop on a call with a customer I can just work down that list and identify what was done/still needs to be done)

Happy to hop on a call to discuss in more detail!

Userlevel 2

@emaynez I really like Fellow.app (https://fellow.app/) as a way to actively collaborate on meeting notes during the meeting. You can clearly outline action-items that are visible to other participants while connecting them back to high-level objectives.

I also like Basecamp (https://basecamp.com/features). They’ve added on a lot of features over the years as they’ve gone from Basecamp 1 to Basecamp 3. I found it very conducive to collaborating with key stakeholders on big projects. We could create specific to-do list for every key feature and go through the list during meetings, commenting with new information and tagging assigned engineers, etc. The interface is clean and intuitive while the subscription model itself allows you to bring in as many stakeholders as necessary.

In general, I am also an advocate of meeting recaps. I do find that wherever possible, meeting recordings are the best way to ensure knowledge transfer is comprehensive. The notes are great when you don’t have time to watch a meeting but nowadays, most platforms allow you to watch a video up to 2x speed.

Some of the key things I like to see in notes are:

1. What are the key decisions being made? Why?
  2. What are the action-items? Who owns these items? When should they be completed by?
  3. What are the driving factors or objectives driving the meeting and its purpose?

Simplicity and context are key at the end of the day. Supplemental documentation can be included as needed but most people who don’t attend a meeting will not have the time or energy to go through every detail retroactively.

Userlevel 3

We have an internal google doc with meeting recaps notes for anyone who needs visual into the account internally. key points are send to the customer.  Also using meeting notes software like UpdateAI or Fathom help a TON with sending recaps and syncing to your CRM - two birds one stone😎

yes- update.ai is amazing