Solved

Next Steps Displayed in Project View

• 24 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Is there a way to display the next step in line for the project on the main project page?

icon

Best answer by ccrossett 24 January 2024, 19:32

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

Great question @Nick Berk ! It looks like you’re hoping for a way to see active tasks in the project as a column so you know what task is next. Do I have that right?

That’s absolutely correct @emaynez .  Is there a way to add that to my filter?

@emaynez - can we add the “Task Name” information for the next step for this customer column to the projects page:

Userlevel 7
Badge

There isn’t a specific column that will capture which task is next (great idea though cc: @ccrossett this could be super helpful), however you could leverage the filtering functionality as a workaround.

For example, I would save different filters to see which of my On Time, Late, On Hold projects have the “Training” milestone as active. 

You could then create several filters that show different projects with different active milestones. Hopefully that helps!

I appreciate your help and advice, but that’s not really going to accomplish what we are looking for.  It would be very helpful to display the next steps displayed as a field on the main project page

Userlevel 7
Badge

Roger that! I added this to something else the team is currently exploring. Go and upvote it! 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Nick Berk thanks for posing the question and getting a discussion started. My name is Cameron and I work on the product team at GUIDEcx. Hopefully you got the in-app message yesterday to alert you about a new field we added to the Project list, it is a new Notes field and is on the far right of your screenshot. This is the first new field we have added to this list in quite some time and that is because we are working to bring custom fields to this table and provide more flexibility about what displays there. 

That being said, I don’t know that a static custom field would really be the answer to your use case. I think with what you are describing you might need a bit more logic behind it. One of the questions that comes to mind for me when I think about a column like this is “What should the logic be?”. Let me explain, I have seen some projects that have tasks and milestones that are running concurrently which could lead to complications in deciding what to display. Do we display the very first task in the project plan that isn’t complete (say it is marked “Stuck” and is in the first milestone of the project) even though 10 or 20 tasks after that have been completed and a better representation would be show the next task coming up that is might be in say milestone 4? Another consideration is that some people use multiple templates in their project that run concurrently, so there is a question about which one should take priority? 

I don’t share this as a reason or excuse for us not to pursue a solution or idea, but more as an invitation for us to get together for a discovery call or deep dive to better understand the need/problem before zeroing in a potential solution. I love having the conversation start here in the community because that provides a space for other people to chime in with their ideas and input and creates a record for me and my team to go back to and reference. Nick if you are open to a call please feel free to book a time with me here

Thanks @emaynez for tagging me in the conversation.