Solved

How do I add in a filter for multiple, individual tags, rather than a single tag OR all tags on a project

Userlevel 3
  • Known Participant
  • 18 replies

When looking at reports I can only seem to sort by a specific tag, or by a collection of tags that have been used on projects. 

We use project tags to identify different sales reps, order methods, and products that the client is being set up with. However I can only figure out how to filter by a single tag, which means looking at one, then another, and not able to side by side compare. Is there a way to do this?

icon

Best answer by bobm 17 May 2024, 00:25

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

What reports are you looking at? 

Userlevel 3

Hi @jdodge There are three main ones:
Project pipeline, Project duration, and Project change. 

Though it would also be helpful on status change reasons, customer engagement, and historical trends

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @EHill!
2 things come to mind (if I understood your question properly) :-) 

• IN THE PROJECTS TABLE:  You can filter for any combination of Project Tags that you like.  Boolean AND and OR functions are supported.  Please see screenshot below.  This sounds like the right option for your question.  You can then take that resulting list of Projects as project filters in your reports.
  • IN THE REPORTS: Please click on the funnel icon in the upper right to populate the tag related filter (or add a tag related filter).  There, I believe you are able to select the logical OR of as many tags as you want.  If an AND function is needed for the tag filters in the reports, please reach out to chat support to see if that is possible directly, or to your CSM to arrange for custom reporting that may be more suitable for your end objectives! :-) 

Userlevel 3

Hi @bobm In the reports there is no option to select individual text tags, there is an option to select a tag list, which is a set of tags assigned to projects, but I cant look at all projects with just one specific tag.

There is a tag filter for numeric values, but my tags all are just text. I did bring this up with Our CSM when I touched base last week and Im hoping to find out  more. 

Here is the list of available tag filters I see though: 

Userlevel 2
Badge

@EHill this is a smart question I have been thinking about all afternoon. The desire to filter based on any tag is totally reasonable. In the edit experience of Report Builder, that is very simple because you can just take the tag dataset and combine it with the project dataset in any way you like. With the default view-only offering of Report Navigator, that filter is a little more limited. The only workaround for now is to search in the “tag_list” attribute and select all iterations of that tag list where the individual tags are set. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

@chrishaleua can you explain “Tag_list” to me?  Looking at the values in the Project Pipeline Filter - it looks like it may be every combination of tags that it is found in a project in the database? Is that correct?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Correct. And since the search in the filter in Report Navigator returns all list that contain that value, I recommend selecting all lists that contain each tag you want. Then you can layer multiple searches of tag lists in a single filter. 

Userlevel 3

@chrishaleua at least for how are tags are, the tag lists end up being pretty unique per project. There isnt alot of need to look at that level of spcificty.

However it would be nice to look at all projects with just a specific tag or a few tags.

We have different sets of tags to categorize things, like who was the sales person, what is the order method, what products the are ordering. 

It would be nice to look at a report so we can see “ok here is all the projects that are doing order method1, who was the sales, what products are they ordering, and what is the value in our pipeline for that specific order method.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for the feedback. That is possible with Report Navigator, but definitely takes a few more clicks. Would you be interested in a short call where we could show you how the experience could be different in Report Builder? 

Another workaround that comes to mind is to use custom fields instead. Since your data is more structured around “who was the sales rep, what products are they ordering, and what is the value in our pipeline for that specific order method.”, I really think we could make your life much easier with custom fields and report builder instead of tags in report navigator. 

Userlevel 3

@chrishaleua I would love that. Please DM me your calendly link, or I can send you mine. 

When we were building this out we did think about using the custom fields to track these things, but for a variety of reasons we did not.