Skip to main content

Emails are a dime a dozen these days. If that were true I’d be a millionaire because I am swamped in emails. Take a moment to imagine with me, you just caught wind of a new customer signing up to use your product/service! You’ve been selected to be their onboarder! You need to introduce yourself and get the ball rolling on their implementation.

What is your secret secret to making your welcome email stand out to your new customer?

1. Be crisp and concise about the purpose of the email, and why you are reaching out.
  2. Limit your email to no more than your top-3 objectives in assisting your client with their onboarding.
  3. State a clear ‘ask’ of your client (i.e., “Please schedule a time with me here...”, “Could we have a call to discuss...” etc.)
  4. And finally, show your enthusiasm for engaging in your client’s success!

Great question! Depends on the purpose of the email, but focusing on the value for the customer has worked well for me. In other words, putting myself in the recipients seat, and asking “What’s in it for me to read this, do this, schedule this, etc.]”

We actually just revamped our entire welcome package for new clients. We worked with our marketing team so there was a short series of 3 emails over the first few days after a deal was closed/won.

One of the problems we continually faced was client readiness and this series of emails helps the client prepare for their implementation and maximize the opportunity to prepare for kickoff. Items included in the emails are:

1. Who should be in the project team
  2. What data is required and how to prepare for the integration
  3. How the project flow works
  4. Prepare for end goals (i.e. how do you want to use the product)
  5. Testing & go-live

There are a few more details but that is the crux of the information. We’re in early stages of rolling this out (started a little over a month ago) but so far it seems to be working well and helping us enable our clients.

It needs to be short and concise. Targeted directly at helping your client take the first critical step toward getting value out of your product/service. 

In todays world where we are all trying to “do more with less” ideally it includes an INVITING link to an interactive LMS or learning center where they can easily self serve with no friction, steps 2 and beyond. 

Another critical part which is likely more important than the welcome email, because let’s be real emails get missed (even the best ones), is timely follow-ups based off of Healthy vs Unhealthy triggers that either keep the customer engaged and moving forward or guide them back to the healthy path. 

The unhealthy path should only be partially automated. At some point, likely quicker than you think, a human needs to be alerted to reach out directly to the customer and “intervene”. 

Big shoutout to @SamDurfey, @Davi1700 and Angela!

My favorite key takeaways from our weekly livestream:

1. Crafting the perfect welcome email sets the tone for the onboarding experience.
    • Welcome emails can be sent by sales reps, onboarding managers, or automated systems.
    • Different experiences with welcome emails, like digital onboarding, can provide valuable insights.
    • Common themes of a good welcome email include personalization, clear instructions, and relevant information.
  2. Implementing strategic timing and personalized communications can improve user engagement and support experience
    • Having personalized email subject lines and follow-up emails can increase user engagement
    • Strategic timing in email communications can have a positive impact on user behavior
    • Connecting support team with user communication history can provide a seamless support experience
  3. Using imagery, bulleted lists, buttons, and personalization can help retain customer's attention in emails.
    • Imagery and graphics can make emails more engaging.
    • Bulleted lists are effective for presenting important information.
    • Buttons can be used for clear calls to action.
    • Personalization adds a human touch without feeling like a marketing email.
  4. Welcome emails should have bullet points outlining the outcomes for the customer.