Things I wish I knew: Cameras that are turned off are a turn off.

• 29 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

I used to follow the customer’s lead whenever I hopped on a virtual call. Do I turn my camera on or off??? Ahhh my hair looks crazy and my eye bags have bags! I used to worry a lot of how I’d be perceived, but over time I realized that the benefits to showing my face on camera will always trump the cons.

Keeping your camera on during customer onboarding calls can offer several benefits that contribute to a positive and effective onboarding experience. Here are my top two reasons to consider:

1. Build Trust and Rapport: Visual communication allows for a more personal connection. By having your camera on, you can establish a stronger sense of trust and rapport with the customer. Seeing a friendly face can make the interaction feel more genuine and build a foundation for a productive and collaborative relationship. It also helps the customer put a face to the name and role, making the interaction more memorable.

2. Non-Verbal Communication: A significant portion of communication is non-verbal, including facial expressions, body language, and gestures. By keeping your camera on, you can effectively convey your enthusiasm, attentiveness, and professionalism through these non-verbal cues. This can lead to better understanding and engagement on the part of the customer, reducing the chances of miscommunication.

While these reasons highlight the benefits of keeping your camera on during customer onboarding calls, it's important to remember that some individual preferences and circumstances can vary. So with that I always say start with the camera on (especially during the chit chat) and then go from there!

Do you turn your camera on for customer meetings?

4 replies

Userlevel 2

I typically follow the lead of the customer on this one. On regard is that my onboarding process, we do a lot of screen sharing. The tiny box that would show my face would be looking at another screen and so I do not think it would be ideal for people to look at the side of my face or chin (no direct eye contact). 

I do see your point about trust and rapport. As an onboarder, you are the face of the company for these individuals. People connect more with people than they do with your product or tools. Knowing that a person is there and cares makes a huge difference! I think starting my calls, I should have my camera on and when we go to screen sharing, turn it off. 

Great callout!

Userlevel 7
Badge

Great point, @DLenders! We are the face of the company! Let’s be human and show ourselves haha

Userlevel 3

TURN ON AT FIRST ALWAYS. 

Turn off if you need to stretch, get water, blow nose, etc..

Its a bad look if you never turn on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

I agree @JeffKush! I can’t imagine if I joined an onboarding call and the onboarder didn’t share their camera. It does give off a bad impression if you don’t turn it on.

Another good reason for using your camera is it’s harder for the customer to multi-task and get less engaged. (I remember one customer who never shared their camera and I later found out they would take my calls while driving… needless to say they didn’t progress and eventually churned). By setting the example of turning your camera on, customers may follow your lead and a side-effect of that is more engaged customers!