Skip to main content

Pro-Tip Tuesday: Master your craft

• 25 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Jiro Ono (If you don’t know who he is, you need to watch the documentary "Jiro Dreams of Sushi”) is a master sushi chef who has dedicated his life to perfecting his craft. His unwavering commitment to excellence has led him to become one of the most respected and sought-after sushi chefs in the world. 

Jiro's story is a powerful reminder to me of the importance of mastering your craft. Regardless of what profession you are in, there is always room for growth and improvement. We (as client onboarding + implementation professionals) should take note of Jiro's example and strive to continually hone our skills and knowledge.

Easier said than done, Elan. You’re right! I think that the key to mastering any craft is to approach it with a sense of passion and purpose. Jiro's passion for sushi is evident in every aspect of his work. He is constantly experimenting with new techniques and ingredients, and he is never satisfied with his current level of success.

Similarly, we can approach our work with a sense of purpose and a willingness to learn. We should always be open to feedback and willing to adapt strategies to meet the needs of our clients along with experimenting new techniques and processes.

Jiro's story is a testament to the power of commitment and dedication. By mastering our craft, we can make onboarding the cool kid job and deliver exceptional onboarding experiences to our customers. After all, it’s not onBORING 😎

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I love the idea of mastering your craft and being very good at one specific thing. It reminds me of my friend that is insanely good at 3D printing objects from design to execution. This skill haas opened so many doors for him. It parallels onboarding super well, I LOVE it when someone says “oh yeah, I’ve experienced this 1000 times before, this is what to do.” Their expertise and skillset lead me to trust them and believe in their vision! 

Userlevel 3
Badge

This also helps when building a team.  Find your strengths and add to the team that supports where you are not as strong.  

Userlevel 7
Badge

You’re absolutely right @ryanngill! There’s something about someone saying “I’ve done this before” that is so calming.

Userlevel 7
Badge

@dana_slapfive What do you do to learn your team’s strengths? Are there activities you like to do or questions you like to ask that helps you understand what their strengths are?