Skip to main content

With email and text communication being the first line of defense, sometimes implementation professionals rely too heavily on this way of communicating. When things are getting misunderstood or a client is escalating, I am always surprised how just exchanging words over the phone calms them down. I also find it helpful because it takes away the anonymity/delayed feedback of email, where clients tend to be more forceful. 

Not only do you get a quicker resolve, you maintain the relationship. Nevertheless, always a good idea to follow up in written communication, what was discussed over the phone for documentation purposes. 

This is brilliant, @JakeMesser! I have a personal rule that if I can resolve something in under 15 minutes on a call then I will do that, rather then let the client’s frustrations/anxiety build while we exchange multiple emails. 

It’s also so refreshing when you are emailing a client and they seem escalated, but then you hop on a call and they’re the nicest people in the world! 

PS good shoutout to sending a recap! That’s next level knowledge right there!

Great post. I need to get better about this. I fall into the let’s solve it in slack but you are right a quick 15 min call can save a lot of back and forth.